Pancakes are truly one of the best comfort foods. While my breakfast tastes have changed as I’ve gotten older (I used to be all about the sweetness in the mornings, but now I prefer more protein), I’m still a sucker for a good Sunday morning pancake breakfast (or a weeknight pancake dinner).
I’ve highlighted 10 totally yummy pancake variations below. The first suggestion is our household staple, and the rest are links to the pancake genius of some other great bloggers.
Personally, I’ve used Pamela’s Baking & Pancake Mix as my batter in the past (it’s the only gluten-free pancake mix that I’ve ever tried and liked). Nowadays I use a basic grain-free pancake recipe, like this one. But I think the various mix-ins mentioned below would work well with almost any pancake batter.
1. Cinnamon and Vanilla Pancakes - Stick some cinnamon and vanilla extract (not the imitation stuff, but the good stuff) into your next batch of pancakes and I guarantee your world will be rocked. It’s the perfect amount of sweetness and it just leaves me smiling after every bite.
2. Zucchini Pancakes - Zucchini is easily my favorite summer crop. Stick some shredded zucchini in your next batch of pancakes and mimic the smell and taste of zucchini bread!
3. Peach Pancakes - How delicious do these look? I can honestly say I’d never thought about adding peaches to my pancakes, before coming across this recipe. Now it’s all I can think about.
4. Honey and Oat Blueberry Lemon Pancakes - I’ve long loved the taste of blueberry with citrus (I recently made some blueberry orange muffins that were divine). Add the honey (instead of sugar) and oats (instead of all flour), and I think we have some guilt-free pancakes!
5. Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes - These are healthier than they sound! I think I found a great use for the frozen strawberries I like to keep around.
6. Red Velvet Pancakes - These, on the other hand, are just as decadent as they sound.
7. Pumpkin Pancakes - I love Autumn for one simple reason – pumpkin. If you come to my house in October, chances are you’re going to be fed something with pumpkin in it. Throw in a dash of cinnamon, allspice, and ginger (or pumpkin pie spice), and you have a winning pancake recipe for Fall.
8. Nutella Pancakes - I’m still of the impression that Nutella has the potential to heal every broken heart and bring about world peace. Well, maybe not, but after pancakes like these I’d sure be happy.
9. Orange Yogurt Pancakes - Skip the glass of orange juice and bowl of yogurt, and just make these!
10. Cinnamon Apple Carrot Pancakes - Yes, you read that title correctly. These pancakes have cinnamon, applies, and carrots. And they look totally delish.
OK, let me have it. What are some of your favorite pancake variations? Feel free to leave a link to a recipe in your comment.
Image Credit: garretkeogh