Back in 2009, my husband and I took a (very, very frugal) trip to Italy. We visited Rome, Florence, and Venice. We fell in love with Italy on that trip and we plan to spend a lot of time there in the future – when we’re done having babies, when those babies are a little bit older, and when we’ve paid off debt and such (though we hope to sneak in another very, very frugal trip sometime in the not-too-incredibly-far-off future).
It was in Italy that I fell in love with tomatoes (a food I absolutely hated before) – probably because they were everywhere and in everything! Italy is also where I realized the beautiful combination of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves that is Caprese Salad.
To me, Caprese Salad is so quintessentially summer. Add this Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette to it (made using Young Living Essential Oils), and you have a light, fresh, and easy summer side dish. I love to make this to take on picnics or to cookouts with family and friends.
- Grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh mozzarella, cut into chunks (or you can use little fresh mozzarella balls)
- Basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt, to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp)
- Pepper, to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp)
- 3 drops of Basil essential oil (I recommend using Young Living Essential Oils)
- 3 drops of Lemon essential oil (I recommend using Young Living Essential Oils)
- Assemble the Caprese Salad (the tomatoes, the mozzarella, and the basil leaves) in a bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients (red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sugar, garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, pepper, Basil essential oil, and Lemon essential oil) to a blender or a food processor and mix until combined.
- Add the Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette to the Caprese Salad and eat up!